Saturday, April 14, 2012

SHOULD KIDS BE BANNED FROM ART GALLERIES?

Jacqueline Maley Jacqueline Maley is the Canberra-based Parliamentary Sketch Writer for The Sydney Morning Herald.  

"There are about ten thousand things children would rather do than traipse around a place where they have to be quiet and look at static objects they don’t understand." I was half way through the gallery, somewhere between the flat, post-Gothic Madonna/Jesus stuff and the later, more interesting portraits - the ones where the people actually start to look like people - when I really wished all the children would go away. Like the rest of the people at the National Gallery that day, I had come to look at the Italian Renassaince paintings. Unlike the rest of the people of the National Gallery that day, I hadn’t taken my children along. In part this is because I don’t have any. But I like to think that even if I had half a dozen of them, each of whom was perfect and special in their own way, and at least one of whom was sure to grow up to be a great artist, I still wouldn’t have brought them ... Click here to read the full story

No comments: