Thursday, October 13, 2011

An Appreciation: Miroslav Tichy – A hero!!

I first came upon Miroslav Tichy [November 20, 1926 – April 12, 2011] back about 2007 and now he has taken off. I didn't know that he had died but I can remember that Paris Vogue tried to get him for a shoot! There are lots of pictures on google ... click here.

I have all 3 books on him if needed. The subject matter was nearly always the same which of course really impressed the French. He probably would have got about 5-10 years in our free country but in his eastern block Stalinist state he was regarded as oddity and all they ever did was put him away from sight during Mayday celebrations in later years.
I cant remember but he may have suffered badly in the late 40's. I do like his work, and I also like his use of matting and biro! He had a darkroom (also primitive) and I believe he survived on donations of old gear chemicals and film.

a lasting impression




1 comment:

Elizabeth Towns said...

Interesting stuff! I went to the new Launceston art gallery today and you would be forgiven for thinking that photography might not have been invented yet or that its not art yet. There are some photographs but maybe the people there do not think that photography is real art or that its not good art. Paintings, paintings everywhere, very very disappointing and there is no sculpture that I can remember either. Its all rather weird and its left an indelible taste in my mouth that I wish it had not.

Thanks for introducing me to Tichy